Sunday, May 11, 2008

Southwestern VA Physical Education Workshop

Well, I learned something new this week......Radford University is a LONG way from Chesapeake. In preparing to attend the VAHPERD sponsored workshop at Radford, I thought it would be smart to Mapquest my trip. When I typed in the information and hit enter, I was shocked to find out that it was a 5+ hour trip. How could this be?? I can get to Pennsylvania or South Carolina from here in 5 hours....how could it possibly take 5 hours to travel somewhere in our own state?

Anyway, it was a 5 hour trip, but it was well worth it!! I arrived on Thursday night just in time for dinner at Sal's. I joined the workshop's planning committee (Kathy, Mary Alice, Rose, Regina, and Susan) and my fellow presenters Betty, B, and Nancy. It was a nice time.

On Friday, we got up early and headed over to the university to get set up. There were over 120 attendees (almost double the number they had last year). I did two Noodle Mania presentations and then finished the afternoon with an hour + Socci presentation.

It was a blast!! I have never been treated better at any workshop I have attended. Everyone was so pleasant, motivated, and easy to talk to. The food provided (breakfast and lunch) was awesome. And, the planning committee was helpful and accommodating. I really can't imagine a better way to spend a Friday afternoon.

As an added bonus, after I got home, I discovered that the local paper (the Roanoke Times, http://www.roanoke.com) wrote an article and took some video which has been posted on their website. Look below to view the video.

No comments: